Dr. Leena George (PhD Chemical Science; M.Tech Industrial Catalysis; M.Sc. Applied Chemistry) .. Click for Full Bio
|Degree||Subject||Year||University/Institution||% of marks/ CGPA|
|2012 -2017|| CSIR-National Chemical
|M.Tech||Industrial Catalysis||2010||Cochin University of Science and Technology, Kerala||8.22 CGPA|
|2007||Cochin University of Science and Technology, Kerala||7.92 CGPA|
|B.Sc.||Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics||2005||Mahatma Gandhi University, Kerala||88.2 %|
- Post-doctoral fellow at Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Colaba (TIFR) from June 2017-June 2018.
- Doctoral Fellow under the guidance of Dr. R. Nandini Devi (CSIR-NCL) in the field of Photocatalysis (April-2012- April 2017).“Surface Modified ZnO Nanostructures: Synthesis, Optical Studies and Applications in Photocatalysis.”
- Project Assistant-III under the guidance of Dr. R. Nandini Devi (CSIR-NCL) in the field of Photocatalysis (July 2010- March 2012).
- M.Tech Project under the guidance of Dr. R. Nandini Devi in the field of Photo catalysis (July 2009- June 2010). “Photocatalytic water splitting using perovskite structured solids and modified nano ZnO.”
- M.Sc Project under the guidance of Dr. G. J. Sanjayan (CSIR-NCL) in the field of Synthetic Organic Chemistry (January 2007- May 2007). “Towards the Synthesis of Novel Protease Inhibitors.”
AWARDS AND HONOURS
- Awarded CSIR– Senior Research Fellowship, Government of India in 2012.
- Awarded UGC/CSIR– Lectureship from UGC /CSIR, Government of India in 2008.
- Secured 4th Rank in M. Sc (Applied Chemistry) from Cochin University of Science and Technology, Kerala.
- Secured 4th Rank in M. Tech (Industrial Catalysis) from Cochin University of Science and Technology, Kerala.
- Best Poster Award for the National Science Day conducted in CSIR-NCL on 2015.
EXPERIMENTAL AND TECHNICAL SKILLS
- Received training in Synthetic Organic, Inorganic and Physical Chemistry techniques in the respective laboratories.
- Recording IR spectra
- Handling micro and macro lab instruments
- Familiar with various techniques for separation of compounds like column chromatography and instruments like Spectrometers and possess basic knowledge of NMR, Mass and IR spectroscopy.
- Experience with a wide variety of experimental setups in Synthetic Organic Chemistry, familiarization with analytical, spectroscopic and different qualitative and quantitative separation techniques used in organic synthesis.
- Operating Systems: Windows
Quite comfortable working on MS word, Powerpoint and scientific soft wares like ChemDraw and SciFinder
HANDS ON INSTRUMENTS
Have good experience in handling the following instruments and measurements:
- Gas Chromatography
- High pressure reactors for liquid – gas phase catalysis
- Catalysts screening high pressure reactors
- Top high pressure photoreactor
- Conventional Furnaces
- Hydrogen generator
- FT-IR and ATR Spectrometer
- UV-Visible- NIR Spectrophotometer
- Photoluminescence Spectrophotometer
- Dynamic Light Scattering Instrument
- Cyclic Voltammetry
- X-Ray Diffractometer
- Raman Spectrometer
- I_V Instrument and Measurements
- Life Time Instrument and Measurements
LIST OF PATENTS FILED AND PUBLICATIONS:
- Functionalized zinc oxide nanoparticles for photocatalytic water splitting, R Nandini Devi ; L. George; Patent Application number: WO2015092816 A8, 2015.
- Understanding the electron transfer process in ZnO–naphthol azobenzoic acid composites from photophysical characterization, L. George, A.K. Kunhikannan, R. Illathvalappil, D.Ottoor, S. Kurungot, R.N.Devi., PCCP, 2016, 18, 22179-22187.
- Surface Site Modulations by Conjugated Organic Molecules to Enhance Visible Light Activity of ZnO Nanostructures in Photo catalytic Water Splitting, L.George, S.Sappati, P.Ghosh, R.N. Devi., JPCC, 2015, 119, 3060-3067.
- Valorization of coffee bean waste: a coffee bean waste derived multifunctional catalyst or photocatalytic hydrogen production and electrocatalytic oxygen reduction reactions, S. M. Unni, L. George, S. N. Bhange, R. N. Devi and S. Kurungot, RSC Adv., 2016, 6, 82103-82111.
- Characterization, non-isothermal decomposition kinetics and photocatalytic water splitting of green chemically synthesized polyoxoanions of molybdenum containing phosphorus as hetero atom, Bessy D’Cruz, J. Samuel and L. George, Thermochimica Acta., 2014, 596, 29–36.
- Green chemical incorporation of silicon into polyoxoanions of molybdenum: characterization, thermal kinetics study and their photocatalytic water splitting activity, Bessy D’Cruz, J. Samuel and L. George, RSC Adv., 2014, 4, 63328–63337.
- Photocatalytic H2 evolution from water–methanol mixtures on InGaO3(ZnO)m with an anisotropic layered structure modified with CuO and NiO cocatalysts, S. B. Narendranath, S. V. Thekkeparambil, L. George, Shibin Thundiyil, R. N. Devi., Journal of Molecular Catalysis A: Chemical, 2016, 415, 82–88.
- Nitrogen-doped graphene interpenetrated 3D Ni-nanocages: efficient and stable water-to dioxygen electrocatalysts, Vishal M. Dhavale, Sachin S.Gaikwad, L.George, R.N.Devi and Sreekumar Kurungot, Nanoscale., 2014, 6, 13179–13187.
- Green synthesis of novel polyoxoanions of tungsten containing phosphorus as a heteroatom:characterization, non-isothermal decomposition kinetics and photocatalytic activity, Bessy D’Cruz, J. Samuel, M. K. Sreedhar and L. George., New J. Chem., 2014, 38, 5436—5444.
- Low Band Gap Benzimidazole COF Supported Ni3N as Highly Active OER Catalyst, Shyamapada Nandi, S. K. Singh, Dinesh Mullangi, Rajith Illathvalappil, L. George, Chathakudath P. Vinod, Sreekumar Kurungot and Ramanathan Vaidhyanathan., Adv. Energy Mater. 2016, 1601189.
- Sensitizing with short conjugated molecules: Multimodal anchoring on ZnO nanoparticles for enhanced electron transfer characteristics, stability and H2 evolution, L.George, S.Sappati, P.Ghosh, R.N Devi., Catalysis Today., 2017, 309, 89-97.
- A Squaraine-Linked Metalloporphyrin Two-Dimensional Polymer Photocatalyst for Hydrogen and Oxygen Evolution, K. C. Ranjeesh, L.George, V. Wakchaure, G. Patil, R. Nandini Devi and Santhosh Babu Sukumaran., Chem Commun., 2019, DOI 10.1039/C8CC09132C.
- Design of azo based dyes for enhanced visible light absorption and photocatalytic water splitting in ZnO, L.George, S.Sappati, P.Ghosh, R.N. Devi (communicated).
- Band Gap Engineering of Zinc Oxide-Oligothiophene based Dye Interface: Studies of Electron Injection and Photo-Catalytic Water Splitting, L.George, S.Sappati, P.Ghosh, R.N. Devi (communicated).